Saturday, May 03, 2014

Let's. Get. Real. (Please.)

I don't know if other people think about this or not because no one really talks about it...so I will take the liberty of doing so, boldly and openly. As I often do. 
I will also prelude this blog post with saying: please don't assume that I dwell on negative things. Because I don't. There is a big difference between being a pessimist and being a realist. I mostly write about the positive side of things to help others (and myself) to feel uplifted and optimistic. Sometimes, however, I have to mix it up and talk about what deeply concerns me.

Tonight, after another week of work and "life stuff", we sat down on our sofa and pondered and analyzed life and our world. 
Why has humanity agreed to continue to perpetuate the old cyclical patterns of past generations? These old ways are clearly failing us as a species. Wars, famine, destruction, disease, environmental disasters, racism, class separation, toxic food...and the list keeps going.

We asked ourselves how many other people were sitting down on this fine Friday evening asking themselves the same questions. Surely we can't be the only two people on earth who feel like slaves to a completely mad global system?! 

We tallied our expenses for the month of April and were amazed at where our hard-earned dollars went. We had quite a few extraneous expenses for various things, including vehicle repairs, and various wellness expenses. But still, wow! It's amazing what the cost of life is. Why do we all play along with "the financial system"? How did we get to the point where we all agree to inherit the debts of our parents and grandparents and generations before them? The average (but not all) North American's life looks like this model: Birth, Schooling, Debt, Slavery (aka "a job"), "Retirement", End Scene. Repeat. Sound familiar?

Is there anyone reading this who wants to see us all paint a different collective picture? I find it sooo interesting that this blog has over 400 views each month, yet virtually no one is brave enough to engage in conversation about the topics that I write about. (To the very few who do engage, kudos for stepping outside of your cozy box.) Why the complacency, readers? What are you afraid will happen? Will your friends or family think you are weird for thinking outside the box? Oh no. Not that! If it makes others uncomfortable, then that's their choice. Sheesh! I have lost touch with a few friends/acquaintances who thought my blogging was too crazy or weird or extreme. And yet, here I am. Still writing. It's what feels right for me.

One of the reasons that I severely limited my browsing of social media sites was because so many people are engaging in meaningless, mind-numbing, time-wasting nonsense. (I know, I know. There's also a lot of positive stuff going around too.) As a society, we think that when we post tidbits about stuff, that it's productive in some trivial way.  It's the new TV of the 21st century. It sucks you in so that reality is a distant memory. Even if just for 10 minutes.

Funny but true. 
Here's another thing that is so bizarre to me:
Someone gets a shiny new car or a new funky hairstyle and their fabbed-up photo gets 65 likes and 22 comments. Soooo awesome!!! On the other hand, when someone (like me) shakes things up and says "hello world! This stuff is all just created to keep the carefully designed financial (and global government) systems flowing smoothly. Wake up everyone! Let's all change our reality!"…............................................. No likes. No comments. So uncomfortable for people. Let's pretend she didn't just say that thing that I know in my heart to be true. Phew. It's so much easier to pretend everything is just fine. Insert head in sand. Business as usual. Back to the grind.

I would like you to ask yourself a few questions and I would also like you to be 150% honest with yourself when you answer them. You don't have to share your answers with anyone. So don't worry what anyone else might think.

1.  Are you currently fulfilling your personal legend? My what? Exactly. Read The Alchemist for more info.

2. Do you wake up every morning feeling excited about the day ahead of you? If you do, I would like to hear about how you have achieved this! Maybe you could blog about it!

3. Do you work more than you want to and feel like you don't have enough time to enjoy your passions, friends and family?

4. Why are you reading this blog? No, really. What are you getting out of these posts? I would like to know.

5. Are you willing to step into your highest calling as a human being at this moment in time and help shift yourself and others toward a more loving and conscious planet?

Sounds pretty big, doesn't it? Yeah, well it is. If you are perfectly happy with your life then ignore all of this...and probably all of my other blog posts. 

If you aren't content with the state of your existence, then change it. No one else is going to hold your hand and help you to live your truth. That, my friends, is your mission. And that, my friends, is also my mission. Let's compare notes. 
That's what this blog is for!

The bottom left is one of my favorites. :)

1 comment:

  1. I wish you would post more stuff like this. This post is brave, courageous and sobering. I don't find it to be pessimistic at all. To me, pessimism is a part of life but it's not our whole life. We all lose hope sometimes. We all get sad sometimes. We all experience hardship and hard times. Life is about how we rebound and outlet pass to the wing and start the offense again.
    Beckett says: "Try again. Fail again. Fail better".
    Theodore Parker, an abolitionist of the 1850s says: "The arc of the moral universe is long but it bends towards justice".
    Cory Booker says "We can not allow our inability to solve everything undermine our determination to do something".
    These words of wisdom (my own personal view of wisdom) tie into the theme of your post.
    We must speak truth to power. We must understand our current situations and shine light upon the darkness.
    Cornel West says we are "obessesed with fleeting pleasures instead of enduring joys".
    That's why the FB post about a fleeting pleasure gets more likes than the enduring joys of sober truth.
    The thing about truth is that it's hard to deal with. It's something we don't want to face all the time. But eventually the truth shouts so loud its deafening.
    I'm glad you're doing some shouting.

    Thank you.

    Respect,

    Deshawn

    ReplyDelete