Wednesday, September 25, 2013

I heart (parts of) Northern Alberta


Alas, we will be departing from lovely Northern Alberta next week. It's been a highly experiential six months here. I wanted to write down all of the things that have left a unique impression on me from this part of the world. The things that will stick with me wherever I go. Some of these things I have experienced in other places, but never to the extent that I have up here. There is a special way of life up here. That's for sure, eh?

Cribbage


What? Sounds like a baby contraption and a vegetable combined. The first time I was introduced to this fast-paced card game, I felt like my brain might combust. Now I would guess I have surpassed my 100-game milestone. Any time is crib time. 

Moose and Elk


In central Alberta, a moose sighting was a rare occasion. Up here, I have seen a moose per week, if I average out the encounters. Many of the sightings were up close and personal, by car, and usually they are as surprised as I am and seem to be in a big hurry to get somewhere. They are so huge and awkward that its hard to miss them. 
The elk on the other hand, are usually in small herds and are casually grazing in fields. So pretty. 


This brings me to something else that is in overwhelming abundance up north. Antlers. Tons and tons of antlers. Adorning garages, mantles, trees, vehicles, cabins, but rarely on animals. I'm yet to see a bull moose or elk...


Although, some of these antler collections are "sheds", meaning the bulls dropped them in the fall rutting season. May as well decorate with them!

Poplars


My first autumn in Alberta was a bit underwhelming. I was waiting for a long transition of rainbow leaves, like I was used to seeing growing up in New England. Instead it was about 4 days of yellow, followed by a blizzard snowfall which stayed for about 7 months. Now it's my 10th fall in Alberta and I appreciate the rich golden hue of the rolling foothills of the Rockies. The sheer ability of poplars to survive and thrive in this extreme climate has earned them my respect. 

Firewood


Flash back only 50 years in this part of the world and wood was what kept you alive through the insanely long dark winters. Many homes here still have wood stoves for heat and/or a nostalgic feeling. I also saw my first wood-stove-heated hot yoga studio.  Kinda neat. We just spent a weekend cutting up deadfall poplars and filling a woodshed. I find stacking firewood extremely enjoyable and rewarding. Anyone else need their supply topped up?

Sunshine!


I was so excited about the abundance of sunlight here that I almost wrote an entire blog about it. I thought the days were long near Calgary...but up in the far north, around the summer solstice, for a number of weeks it never gets completely dark. It's truly amazing. This makes it pretty tricky to fall asleep or star gaze. Good for suntanning and gardening though!

Gardening


The long hours of sunlight make gardening easier up north. If you can outsmart the frost and ginormous weeds, that is. The tomatoes, zucchini, corn, potatoes, greens, beets, beans, peas, carrots and most of what we planted went great guns and we have been scrambling to use it all! Growing your food from seed is one of the most magical acts of creation that humans can partake in. If you haven't tried it, start small and work your way up. One raised bed or a community garden where the work is shared are good ways to get your hands dirty. 

The Other Weed


Yeah, I'm talking about marijuana. I have never been in a part of the world where it is SO abundant. I remember when I first came to Canada and noticed the smoke shops on every corner. Growing up in the US, where possessing pot was the equivalent to being a serial killer, I was shocked at how liberal Canada is on this topic.  It is surprising how many people up North are growing their own supply. In fact, I walked up to a used book store that I have come to love, and this book was staring at me from the front window. 


After opening the cover and reading the first passage, I couldn't leave without it. I'm so intrigued. You can bet your boots that I will be giving a full report after I read this one. 

River boating
In a nutshell, a sleek, fast aluminum boat that zooms through rivers and can maneuver with only inches of water under it, propelling its passengers over huge sand or gravel bars. It's scary. But fun. 


People up here sure love their recreational vehicles. ATVs, skidoos, boats etc. I prefer my bicycle. Call me boring.

The Night sky
The star gazing and northern lights in Nothern Alberta surpass any that I have experienced before. Of course, from late May through early August, you'll be lucky to see much because the sky is brightened by the sun hovering just below the horizon all night long.  Now that fall is here, I find myself looking up every night. We camped out in the back of our trusty pickup to watch a meteor shower above us and a wall of constant pink lightning to the south. It was a magical night. Rivaled only by the riverside driftwood campfire and mystical northern lights. 
I have a feeling we will be back here to visit. These experiences are what life is all about. 


No comments:

Post a Comment