Saturday, July 12, 2014

The Lost Art of Committment

commit[ kuh-mit ]
verb (used with object) [com·mit·ted, com·mit·ting.]
1. to give in trust or charge; consign.
2. to consign for preservation
3. to pledge (oneself) to a position on an issue or question; express (one's intention, feeling, etc.)



Commitment. To people. To events. To your work. To yourself.
It's a rare thing these days. I, myself am guilty of the occasional "back-out" or avoidance of a situation that I wish I hadn't said yes to. However, I try my best to hold myself accountable to the people and events that I said I would be present for.

I have observed a few things lately that I will share about present-day humans and their commitment-phobias:

1. Texting/email/Facebook makes for (seemingly) very easy cop-outs. There is no emotion shown or exchanged, only emotions left to be interpreted via typed words. There is no disappointed faces to be seen (emoticons do NOT count, in case any of you were thinking that). No sad or angry hearts to contend with. One more huge strike against technology...in my opinion.

2.  If you don't want to do something....JUST.SAY.SO. Be honest. Waiting until the last minute is much worse and frustrating and disappointing for others. Geez! For Pete's sake, stand up for your right to make your own choices- but for Pete's other sake, stick with your first instinct. Be legit. Commit. Otherwise people may start referring to you as flaky. No one wants that label, right?


3. The grass is always greener? No. No, It's not. If you commit to something, do it. Don't back out because an easier or more fun offer came up last minute. 

4.  Think before you start telling everyone what your plans are. Make sure that you are fully committed in your own heart before saying you will help someone or show up somewhere. You are allowed to say "I'll think about that." Or "Let me consider that option."  Or "I'll get back to you."

5. Humans seem to be losing touch with our innate compassion for and connection to other humans. Start holding yourself and others accountable and set an example. Especially for the younger generations.

SO:
Let's stop being fickle flounder-ers and start being wonderful accountable, reliable, caring human beings again!


Ok. That's all for today. I hope you committed and read this whole post. 
If so, congrats. Give yourself a high five. You are one of endangered species of accountable humans left. Hopefully they will repopulate and be flourishing again soon. 

PS. I tried to partly write this post and then let myself get distracted and make up reasons in my mind why it wasn't that important. Then I called bullshit on myself. And finished the post. Yay me. Committed. 

PPS. Apparently there are two ways to spell the word commitment/committment.  Depending on which dictionary you are referring to. Seems ironic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment