Friday, March 21, 2014

Seeds of Life

Colorful Veggie Art at work

It's been a funny thing for me to work as an "employee" again, after being self-employed in one way or another for a decade. I have had to practice super-clear communication, as well as humbleness, compassion, patience and humility, amongst other things. It's been a great way to test myself. Am I walking the talk? I am doing my very best. I have struggled some days and am also excited for each new day and the fun and challenges each one brings. Personal growth happens when you least expect it. A diamond in the rough.

I have struggled to find time and inspiration (and energy!) to write a new blog post because I have been busy and tired. But...the seeds have been planted (literally and figuratively) and new life is all around us. Spring has sprung on Vancouver Island! And so I write....

Resident black bamboo by the creek on the property.

For about 10 days now, there has been a chorus of hundreds of frogs after dark in the ponds and wetlands around our home. It sounds amazing. The pink cherry blossoms are beginning to pop out around town. A bee buzzed by me while I examined our winter-flattened garden beds. It's sandal time again!!!

We began planting the seeds for our garden about a month ago. We started the ones that need a longer growing season such as tomatoes, peppers, onions, leeks, basil and other herbs. We also started a variety of Marigolds that were brought back from the flowers grown at the Taj Mahal in India. So excited to see those beauties bloom this summer!


I find that soaking most seeds overnight in a cup of water helps them to germinate quickly and helps them retain the moisture needed to sprout. 

Our tiny house is being taken over by flats of tiny green seedlings. But we are ok with the temporary guests, as we know the payback this summer and fall (and maybe even winter!!!) will be 100-fold with luscious fresh veggies. We took a full-day workshop from a local gardening guru this weekend. It was so much fun and we both feel more confident to dig into the soil in our new climate.


Speaking of fresh veggies...I recently started sprouting various seeds again. I learned how to do this from a good friend a few years back, but with our traveling bug, I had gotten out of the sprouting loop. Sprouting is a way to eat fresh, green, living veggies all year long!


Here's how we do it:
A clean glass canning jar
A piece of window screen
A strong rubber band (or one of those orange lid sealers for canning)
Purchase seeds that are specifically for sprouting. This will guarantee success (and not result in disappointment). 

Add 2-3 teaspoonfuls of seeds to the jar (different seeds make different sized sprouts). You will have to experiment with amount of seeds to the size of the jar. Add enough water to cover the seeds. Place the screen and rubber band over the top of the jar. Let the seeds soak overnight. 


Each morning and evening thereafter, rinse the seeds/sprouts with cool water and then tip the jar on its end (opening facing down). Be sure to rest it in the sink or in a dish drying rack on a slight angle so that air can get into the opening. If you lay it flat face down, it will prevent airflow and things could get funky. That's it. So simple. Let nature do its thing. 


It's up to you how long you let the sprouts get. Regardless of the size, once they have sprouted they are living and full of enzymes and nutritional goodness. If you place them in the sunlight in a window for a few hours before eating, they will become brighter green!  Add them to salads, sandwiches, wraps, or just eat them alone. Yum!


Here is a link with some more info on sprouts. In case you need more convincing...


The other craft that I have just began to learn about is wild fermentation. It was suggested to me by several friends and wellness professionals in the last year. So when two people sent me the same link to this YouTube video (posted later in this blog) in the same day, I knew it was about time I tried this at home. 

I recently purchased this locally-made Korean kimchi and it's unbelievably tasty. Sort of like sauerkraut or pickles. Vinegary and so good! So I set out to create my own version, which is substantially more affordable and even fresher!

Here's what I used:

1 small head red cabbage
1 daikon radish
1 small bok choy
1 yellow onion
2 large carrots
Few cloves of garlic
Small chunk of ginger root
Pinch of dried chili flakes
Sea salt (several teaspoons)


As you will see in the YouTube video, Sandor suggests chopping or grating all of the veggies finely. Sprinkle salt over them (to taste) and knead the mixture together to get the juices flowing. (If you want it spicy, add the chilies after the kneading. I learned the hard way. It burns.)

Pack the mixture firmly (with the juices) into a glass jar. Be sure all veggies are submerged under the salty brine. This is key for success. You will have to push them under a couple of times each day, since they will float to the top. Cover jar with a plate or something non-metal to keep out dust and flying/crawling flies etc. Wait a few days and taste test. If you prefer a more vinegary taste, wait a bit longer, tasting every now and again. That's it. So simple. Let nature do the work. 

PS. Do not overfill the jar. Leave more room than I did here. Why? I came home from work to see purple juice all around the jars on day 2. The fermentation action creates air bubbles under and around the veggies, thus forcing the water level up and over the rim. If you leave at least an inch of space it should be ok. Just remember to pack the veggies back down with a spoon (forcing some of the air pockets out) at least twice a day. :)


I'm so excited to try my first batch of kimchi! Here are some of the health benefits:





No comments:

Post a Comment